Plan ahead for website success - our Top 10 Checklist
Other Articles & Resources
- SEO: A non technical guide
- Do I need a website?
- Promoting your website
- Accepting payments online
- Ecommerce website success
- Ecommerce: Legal requirements
- Writing great website content
- Google Adwords: Getting started
- The don'ts of web design
- The benefits of web standards
- Websites & data protection
- How 'green' is your office
Glassraven Web Resources:
- Web design checklist
- Basic HTML reference sheet
- Setting up email in Outlook
- Resizing and optimising images
Please contact me
Share / Bookmark this using:
Thinking ahead when creating an ecommerce website helps you save time and money. Here are our Top 10 things to consider before you start designing.
- Have you secured your domain name?
It is well worth securing both .co.uk and .com versions to prevent your competitors from using your name
- How are you going to accept payment?
Merchant accounts for card payments can take a while to set up, other options are PayPal and Worldpay
- Do your products fit into categories?
Don’t overwhelm customers with too many to choose from, consider using subcategories
- How are you going to photograph your stock?
Most manufacturers will provide you with photographs, but you may need to hire someone to do this for you
- What pages do you wish to include?
Typical pages include: Home, about us, contact & terms, however you can include more
- Where are you going to get your content?
Fresh, good quality, relevant content will really help your sites rankings. Are you going to need a blog?
- What are your competitors doing?
You are going to be competing for a share of the market so be aware of their presence and how you can improve
- What postage methods are you going to use?
If you are stocking large items investigate couriers, compare the prices and determine your postal rates
- How are you going to market your website?
Once you have secured your domain, start adding it to everything you send to customers - letterheads, emails...
- Who is going to design your website?
Building a successful ecommerce website requires developers with experience and knowldge
Why choose Glassraven?
With years of experience in ecommerce web design our ecommerce cart was developed based on feedback from clients to provide everything you need from an ecommerce website.
Having been developed exclusively inhouse we can guide you through every aspect of your new ecommerce store. We frequently add new features, and can develop custom modules for your specific project.
About the Author
This article is part of a series written by Sadie Knight of Glassraven web design, Coventry. The full series of articles is available on the Glassraven website.